The birth of Lionism
It was only after the Second World War that Lionism, the worldwide organisation of service clubs founded in 1917 in America by Melvin Jones, gained a foothold in Luxembourg.
During a trip abroad, Fernand Loesch had met colleagues who warmly praised this movement in full bloom. Back in Luxembourg, he found friends and acquaintances who were as enthusiastic as he was. The Luxembourg club was born. At the beginning of 1953, it received its Charter from the Secretary General of the Chicago headquarters.
Sponsors: the clubs of Geneva and Liege.
After a few years of consolidation, a first recruitment of some new members was made and from 1963 on, some new clubs were created: Esch-sur-Alzette in 1963, Luxembourg-Moselle in 1964, Eislek and Echternach in 1965 and Luxembourg-Country in 1967. All the new clubs received their Charter not from a District Governor as is the custom, but from Georges Friedrichs, at that time International Director.
Le grand maréchal de la Cour, Alfred Loesch et le gouverneur fondateur du District 113, Bob Frommes
At a certain point, the number of clubs necessary for the creation of a provisional district was reached for us, but the headquarters was recalcitrant to the idea of giving this status to a country which, in view of its small size, did not believe that it had any chance of ever reaching the necessary number of clubs for a complete district.
The ceremony for the official constitution of the district took place in the solemnity of the great hall of the New Theatre in Luxembourg. It coincided with the Association's fiftieth anniversary, the "Golden Anniversary". The large hall, particularly decorated for the occasion, was packed. The Grand Duke had done us the honour of delegating the Grand Marshal of the Court, Mr Alfred Loesch, brother of the founding president of the oldest club in Luxembourg, to represent him.
Since that day, District 113 has come a long way and celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2017.
The ceremony in the main hall of the Nouveau Théâtre de Luxembourg
50 years of service